Sunday, October 26, 2008

Purchased My First $25 Savings Bond

I opened a Treasury Direct account online a week ago. In order to log in to make my first purchase, I had to wait for the U.S. Treasury to send me an "Access Card".



Well, I got my Access Card over the weekend and purchased my first $25 I-Series Savings Bond. :-D

I know it's not much, but since I can't redeem it for 5 years without being penalized, I can't afford to tie up too much of my cash. But I'm thinking that if I do this monthly, it'll eventually add up to something significant... eventually.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I bought a 3 week bill with them but the rates were not attractive to me. The log in process with the card is complicated so I decided not to invest any more of my money there.

I decided to get CDs with ING instead.

Shtinkykat said...

I totally agree that Treasury Direct's sign-on process is cumbersome! I also agree that the rates aren't that great. (Currently, variable rate 4.84%.) The problem with the I-Series Savings Bond that I purchased is that the fixed portion of the interest rate is 0%. That means in a deflationary economy, I could potentially earn 0%. This is a learning experience for me. I may consider buying a EE Series Savings Bond next.