Friday, April 3, 2009

April Charity - Locks of Love

This April, I've decided to award my $20 monthly donation to Locks of Love. In addition to the money, I'll be sending the charity something extra: my hair that I recently sheared off. If you pull it straight, it's over 13 inches long! (No wonder I was having neck cramps.)



According to their website:
Locks of Love is a public non-profit organization that provides hairpieces to financially disadvantaged children in the United States and Canada under age 18 suffering from long-term medical hair loss from any diagnosis. We meet a unique need for children by using donated hair to create the highest quality hair prosthetics. Most of the children helped by Locks of Love have lost their hair due to a medical condition called alopecia areata, which has no known cause or cure. The prostheses we provide help to restore their self-esteem and their confidence, enabling them to face the world and their peers.

When donated hairs are unusable (e.g., less than 10 inches long or gray hair), Locks of Love sells the bundled hair to offset manufacturing costs.

This is my 4th time donating hair. I don't know whether my hair was ever made into a hairpiece for children or sold, though. :-(

I just hope it wasn't made into those creepy, real-life looking dolls. Maybe I watched too many Twilight Zone episodes in my youth, but real looking dolls (including mannequins) give me the creeps.

Speaking of creepy dolls, did you know there's a haunted doll in Japan whose hair continuously grows? Eeeew.

Oops, sorry for seriously diverging from the topic of charitable giving. Have a great weekend folks!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

A haunted doll? Crazy! That is kind of creepy that it continuously grows hair.

You have beautiful hair to donate. That's great you were able to donate to such a worthy cause. :)

jpkittie said...

Nice pick for your donation!

What a crazy doll - so creepy!

paranoidasteroid said...

"My name's Talking Tina, and I'm going to KILL YOU."

I always wanted to donate my hair, but I never can let it grow long enough. My hair's not even to my boobs yet and I'm itching to cut it into a bob!

Miss M said...

I can grow my hair pretty long but I imagine they want unprocessed hair. My natural color - dark brown, my current color - light blond. Cool charity.

DINKS said...

nasty!!!!! that haunted doll is gonna scare the ish out of me. haha....mini fake people like that drive me insane...i'm not afraid of much, but those things are def. on the top of the list.

but as for your donation, hell yeah girl! great work...you're doing an awesome thing over there.

Ms. MoneyChat said...

great choice. but yeah, the haunted doll, scary;-).