Sunday, September 14, 2008

One More Hurdle Before My $800/Bonus

My company offers a $500-$800 bonus to any associate who obtains an industry professional designation. In addition to the $800 bonus, the company will pay for the education and examination costs associated with obtaining the professional designation.


This year I opted to obtain my Associate in Commercial Underwriting designation from AICPCU. In order to obtain this designation, I need to take 3 exams consisting of 85 multiple-choice questions each.

I'm happy to report that I just passed my second exam yesterday! Now I only have 1 more exam to go. Since I'd like to get my education reimbursement and bonus money ASAP, I'm motivated to pass my third exam by early October. (This bonus money will pay for Christmas!)

I've been employed with my company for 6 years and this is the first time I've ever taken advantage of this program. Other than the bonus, I decided to obtain this professional designation in order to "pad" my resume for when I get laid off at the end of the year. This is one of the many things in life I've taken for granted that I didn't appreciate until it's gone (or will be gone in the near future). Hopefully I've learned my lesson to appreciate all opportunities that are available to me and not squander them until it is too late.

0 comments: