Anyhow, here's a brief summary of what transpired:
- Chase purportedly advised me back in November of the following change in terms of the credit card.
- I discover the $10 service charge and the 250% increase in my minimum payment in January 2009. I make the decision to transfer my balance to Bank of America's 0% offer.
- Because I know Chase is a bloodsucking bank, I sent an additional $30 to cover any interest charges accrued until the balance transfer takes place.
- I discover on February 5 that Chase will continue to charge me $10/month regardless of whether I carry a balance. Chase tries to blackmail me to do a balance transfer to 7.99% APR to avoid the $10/month service charge. I tell them to go pound sand and close my account.
- Chase closes my account and sends me a $20 refund (which I have not yet received).
- Chase is now billing me $13.76, when it could have just issued me a $6.24 refund instead of $20.
Frustrated, I ranted at a poor customer service rep at Chase. He assured me that the $13.76 won't accrue any interest since it arose out of finance charges and only the principal balance accrues interest.
How much do you want to bet he's full of cow patty and I'll get a bill for 5 cents interest next month? Chase is becoming a zombie company I can't get rid of!
And to think Chase is one of our better financial institutions? I think I see why we're in the midst of the economic crisis we're in now.
Please, Chase, just go away. I hate you.