Tuesday, September 30, 2008

My Dream Computer Bag On Sale!

For the past year, I've been coveting this fashionable $300 Knomo computer bag that also doubles as a tote-bag or purse. I travel frequently for business and I've always wanted to combine my purse/computer bag so that I won't need to check any of my bags at the airport.

(I know, I know. If I get laid off at the end of the year, I won't have to worry about business travel. But if I find a new job in the same field, I will likely have to travel for business in the future as well.)

I was never able to justify (or afford) spending $300 for a computer bag especially when regular (read: less stylish) computer bags can be purchased for less than $50.

But... last Friday, I discovered that my dream bag is currently on sale for $169.90

In my prior post, I admitted to my weakness for expensive purses. As a compromise, I resolved that I would only buy expensive purses:
(a) to replace my existing purse after it falls apart, and

(b) only if I have cash to pay for it.
My current computer bag (about 10 years old) is on its last threads -- the zipper is broken and the rubber handle is ripping apart. So in essence, condition (a) is satisfied!

I also have $180 earmarked in my savings for "miscellaneous" (i.e., unplanned) spending. But... since it took me 9 months to save $180 for this kind of "miscellaneous" spending, I just feel awful blowing it on this one purchase.

Despite this misgiving, I was still so tempted last Friday that I actually had to put my credit card on-ice to give me a weekend to think this through. (I froze a tupperware of water with my credit card in it. He he.)

Now that I've had my "cooling-off" period, I still want this bag. Or, do I? I've only seen this bag on the internet. Do I really want to buy an expensive bag sight unseen?

Luckily, I found a local retailer who carries this bag. I'll check it out today to see whether I REALLY want it. This will give me one more opportunity to walk away from this admittedly frivolous purchase. :-D

4 comments:

Sallie's Niece said...

That's a tough one. Have you tried looking on Ebay? It does seem like a great bag at a good price and "technically" it will enhance your professional appearance. I, for one, need new suits soon. How about asking for it for Christmas from your family and friends?

Shtinkykat said...

Oh wow. One vendor on eBay has it on sale for $159.99 but it's the wrong color. I'll check to see whether the vendor has it in black. Re: asking my friends: I never give my friends gifts that are that expensive so I can't really ask them. Re: my parents... well, let's just say my mom asked me this morning to "cover" her cable bill for this month or else it will get cut off on 10/4. Sigh....

Anonymous said...

I don't think that sounds like an unreasonable purchase to be honest. If your last one lasted 10 years, this one probably will too - and it's for a practical purpose, not just because you like it. Plus you've been wanting it for a year. Sorry for being a bad influence! :)

Shtinkykat said...

You're not a bad influence at all! You always provide great perspective. Thanks for the encouragement!